1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

CASAA funded Study shows E-cigarettes safe? (safe-ish?)

Discussion in 'E-News' started by ryanmacl, Feb 8, 2014.

1. ryanmacl

ryanmacl Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Link here: BMC Public Health | Abstract | Peering through the mist: systematic review of what the chemistry of contaminants in electronic cigarettes tells us about health risks

I'm kind of surprised nobody else has posted this. This is the first comprehensive study I've seen both on the chemicals contained in e-liquid and the vapor produced. I've read the whole article (which I found on TasteYourJuice.com - Taste Your Juice | INTERESTING INFORMATION) and have to say I'm pretty impressed with how thorough and unbiased they were. They used OSHA standards (Threshold Limit Values) to determine the levels of contaminants found within many liquids and using many different devices (well over 100 liquids, I can't remember the numbers) and it was found to be well under levels that have previously determined to be hazardous. The article does an excellent job of emphasizing that the only hazard they found that exceeds TLVs is the Propylene Glycol and Vegetable Glycerine, and that the TLVs for those were determined arbitrarily.

I would say that this is a major win for e-cigarette users, and combined with the upcoming research by Dr. Farsalinos (Electronic cigarette liquids analysis-evaluating potentially harmful ingredients | Indiegogo) will be some powerful ammunition against those that are trying to legislate and regulate e-cigs out of existence.

Hopefully these studies will help get the TLVs for PG, VG, and nicotine adjusted, as the methods for determining them are outdated or non-existent.