1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

E-cig battery turned me into a human FIREBALL

Discussion in 'E-News' started by -V-, Jan 17, 2016.

1. -V-
    Cool

-V- Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

Kevin Woodward suffered horrific burns when the Eleaf iStick, which he left on charge overnight, erupted

A father-of-two has told how an exploding e-cig battery turned him into a fireball as he slept.

Kevin Woodward suffered horrific burns to his face and arms when the Eleaf iStick, which he left on charge overnight, erupted.

The 30-year-old said it felt like someone had held a “blow torch” to his face during the 4.30am ordeal.

He frantically put out the flames with a pillow and gathered up his two young kids and fiancee to get them out of the house.

Luckily, Kevin’s three-year-old son Taylor James had got out of the same bed just two hours earlier – a move his parents believe saved his life.

Screen Shot 2016-01-16 at 22.51.34.png

Scrapyard worker Kevin said: “We are both lucky to be here. I had gone to bed at about 11pm and woke at 2.30am because Taylor was wriggling around.

“Thankfully, that was when he got out of the bed.

“I later woke up and the right hand side of my face was on fire. It felt like someone was using a blow torch on me.

“I didn’t have a clue what was happening – it was like a horror movie.

Kevin Woodward suffered horrific burns to his face and arms when the Eleaf iStick, which he left on charge overnight, erupted

Screen Shot 2016-01-16 at 22.52.39.png
    Kevin added: “I’ve been using e-cigarettes for the last 12 months, after being a smoker for the last ten years, because I thought they were better for my health. It seems they’re obviously not though.”

Kevin has complained to the Chinese makers of the Eleaf iStick. They were not available for comment.

E-cig battery turned me into a human FIREBALL as I slept - Mirror Online

2. -V-
    Cool

Ok, so an iStick...not good..
    But, again this is something which goes to show vapers don't understand about mods..
    This wouldn't have happened to say me, why?
    Well I would never charge a mod via USB when sleeping..

On a whole I don't use the USBs on mods, apart from my DNA 200 as that's the only way to charge it.
    But i charge it when I am in the house, not going out and not sleeping...I am usually around the area where's it charging but not too close....
    But close enough to sort something out if it did go wrong but not close enough to get hurt...

Charge vape bags, posted many a time, and yes, if this had been charged in the a fireproof vape bag, then this guy would be fine..
    They're like $5 or something...
    Include then with the sealed battery mods as part of the kit, and have it in big writing must be charged in this bag..
    We'r digging our own grave as vapers for the FDA and so on to shut it down...
    China isn't helping....
    VAPE BAGS!!!!

3. -V-
    Cool

Screen Shot 2016-01-16 at 23.04.12.png

Google it..
    If you use USB charging and think you'll be charging when sleeping or going out and leaving it alone when charging, BUY and USE one these....

haybilly, Dieter., Emmess and 4 others like this.
  4. peter-k
    Fine

peter-k Well-Known Member

Question: What kind of advice is that really, don't charge via USB. Or selling "Safty" battery bags.

- If charging the batteries via device's USB connection is unsafe, there should be suitable technology used to make it safe. Or there should be no USB charging connection.
    - If Lithium batteries in vaping devices melt or blow, even if it is only one in thousands, there should be a protecion technology to make it not melt or blow, or such a bag material as the above should be a standard as a liner in the battery compartment. Or these batteries should not be used.
    -If Chinese e-cigarette companies are unable producing technology that is not hurting people with always the same kind of accidents, they should get training and look into employing capable engineers (even if their salary is higher). It is not enough to copy one from the eachother, they are also copying the mistakes and bad designs. Or they should stay out of that business.

==============================================================

Now to the Mirror. The article contains sentences like "devices randomly exploding across the country". Or: My son keeps saying "I’m worried about Daddy, when I can I see Daddy?”
    Then within the article is a poll if vaping should be banned YES or NO, which makes it clear what this new incident is being used for.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  5. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

To me the big question is what brand were the batteries? From the picture I can't tell which model we are talking about. It looks like an iStick 100. 2 mismatched batteries could be to blame. Yes, the charging circuit is important but the batteries are important as well. If the battery fails to relay the proper information to the charging circuit, it becomes an issue. Even though we like to think about modern chargers being "smart", and they are, but the charger is relying on proper information from the battery. The charger uses a lot of information it receives from the battery's state to determine the whats and whens during the cycle. With an external charger that has two or more independent bays the charger is able to adjust charging properties to the batteries individually. I'm not familiar with the charging circuit in the iStick so I can't comment on how it works. I don't want to speculate too much but mismatched or low quality batteries could be the issue. I don't know what the iStick charging circuit could or could not do in such a case. Many manufacturers are telling users not to charge their batteries in the device. The next logical step for the manufacturers is to just disable this feature. One quick change to the software and you have a USB interface with no charging capability. Takes the pressure and liability off them and puts it into the lap of the battery and charger companies. Batteries contain a lot of potential energy and definitely need to be respected more than they currently seem to be. This issue is not only with vaping products. There has been an extremely high number of these "hover boards" exploding and catching fire as well.

6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Pretty good advice IMO...only applicable as long as the mod has removable batteries. Actually, what the OP wrote was: "On a whole I don't use the USBs on mods...". I don't read that as 'advice'.
    Hmmm, I don't see anything about anyone 'selling' battery safety bags. What I do see is the suggestion that if you're daft enough to charge anything when you're sleeping or when you're not there to watch it (neither of which is very smart), you should do such charging in a battery safety bag...YMMV

Dieter., Emmess, -V- and 2 others like this.
  7. peter-k
    Fine

Here I am on a completely different train.

First launch a product that is not completely safe and then sell the safety device to make it safe. Where are we, in banana republic?

First mount a USB port on a device and then say don't use USB.

Let's agree to disagree on that one :very good:

8. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Nothing in life is completely safe...especially when Li-Ion batteries are involved. Bic lighters explode, too...what should be done about that...not sell them? If you want absolute safety, then don't vape. If you're going to vape, then practice battery safety...and in my book, that includes not charging a device/battery when it's unattended (or when you're sleeping).
    That's exactly what Yihi did with the SX Mini M class...
    upload_2016-1-17_12-6-18.png
    Yeah, that works for me.

Dieter., farangmick and Konvict like this.
  9. peter-k
    Fine

How about not poviding the USB charging facility in the first place?

10. jon
    Mellow

jon Well-Known Member

There is a risk with batteries,like most things in life. But with the amount of batteries sold, put into all kind of devices, by a lot of people pushing them to and beyond all reasonable limit. I would say the safety record is pretty good.
    I try to get good batteries, I inspect them from damage. In use I keep an eye on the temperature of the battery.
    For the rest, I charge in usb and in external chargers. Over night and when I'm out, I'm very relaxed with that.
    I have put the charger in a room where there is about zero fire hazard, and good ventilation temp wise.

What I don't do is to use batteries that has some physical damage, batteries that suddenly start to give of more heat in normal use or show abnormalities under charging.

Dieter., farangmick and Siam Diesel like this.
  11. peter-k
    Fine

Would the above man not be hurt if the port would not be a charge port? Would the Mirror have the chance to come up with another sensationalist story?

And these companies know it, that's not funny anymore.

12. farangmick
    Worried

farangmick Well-Known Member

Timely advice from -V-. When I only had a Subox Mini, one battery and no charger, I regularly used the usb for overnight charging, but not in the bedroom. I sometimes still put a vv tube battery on charge overnight.
    Order for a bag just gone in to FT. $5.26 with the coupon code, about the price of two coils!

Whether the fire was caused by mismatched, or bad batteries, we'll never know, because operator error does not fit in with the Mirror's agenda.

Dieter., -V- and Siam Diesel like this.
  13. -V-
    Cool

My advice, but it wasn't really advice, I was just saying it the way I see it as per say.

I think you are.
    Maybe you should find somewhere else to play if your posts are going to be such as on this Thread
    You totally missed what I was saying, as you can see other members see where I was coming from.
    The tone/non-understanding of your replies to what I and others posted makes me wonder if this place is the right place for you as a vaper.
    We have very little 'drama' on here if at all any, go over to 'Vaping with Vic's' Forum if you like the old 'drama' :wink:

Cheers mate

Neilly, farangmick and Siam Diesel like this.
  14. peter-k
    Fine

I don't think I misunderstood you, as well I know now I have lost it here with this postings.

And I still remain not blaming a user being in error, if this user is just using a regular facility a device offers and which these companies actually know to be unsafe, and you and me too. Does the average Joe know?
    And I also hold up that I don't agree selling batteries that need safety bags, and then even from a company which batteries have not exactly a spotless record. Is that really all right in your books?

- So if there is a USB charging port on the device, people please ignore it, it is for decoration only.
    - If there is a paragraph in your manual about pass-through charging facility (mine has) - even worse. This vacility is as well only decoration.
    - If you have lithium batteries you need safety bags, bcs the batteries are done with the same professionalism as the name on that bag.

Excuse me, what are you going to say again to all this new laws and restrictions?

PS: I really like this forum, and the way how it's managed. It is almost indispensable for SEA I'd say, and the users (including me) most of the time really very friendly, which is it's strength. But this here, sorry, I have to say what I got to say even you feel attacked, hoping the dust can settle.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  15. -V-
    Cool

Another wrong bit of info in manuals for mods which actually use batteries.
    It should say 'vape while charging' cos a 'pass though' is to pass by the battery, which they don't, you still use the battery when vaping but it's also charging the battery at the time you vape not by passing the battery to vape with, so not on a whole a pass though, more of 'Vape while charging.

Not per say 'attacked' just that you have no idea what you are talking about hence the replies of me and the others :wink:

It's not what is what is right for me, more so what is right for the protection of the vaping community and to protect what 'we' have against the people who are trying to ban it.
    If something as simple as a vape bag would help to protect us against the people who are trying to ban it then so be it.
    It's these people who love stories in the papers like this to get these things banned as dangerous, we're just trying one way or another not to give them more fuel to get them banned.
    :wink:

Dieter., farangmick and Siam Diesel like this.