1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Exploded mod STAY SAFE!!

Discussion in 'E-News' started by Rick O-Shea, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea Thread Starter iStick Fanboy

Don't know the back story or if there even is one but stumbled across this on FT forums.
    There is a particularly graphic image on there which, for obvious reasons, I didn't want to post here.
    But feel free to check it out over there:Exploded Mod ( beware of the graphic Images ): FastTech Forums

[​IMG]

STAY SAFE!!

2. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

Thanks for the share, RIck.

We have to take this news seriously because the anti-vapers will be more than happy to use it against us.

It is very important to have more details about the set up they used, was he vaping within the amp limit of his battery, did the battery vent before etc..

I am always septic about this sort of dramatic pics that shows up on the net without info :completely forgotten:

3. Rick O-Shea

I agree completely. I didn't read the whole thread and didn't see any info on what set up and battery was being used but if the pictures are to be believed you can guess it was a shit battery with a low resistance coil.
    The media would have no use for such information though unfortunately.

4. mash
    Nerdy

mash zZz

For this to happen it must blow up without getting hot first ?, anyone know how a li-po batt handles a short, does it get hot, then went and lastly blowup ? or does it just blowup without any warning ?, from what i know it gets hot, then went so i cant see how this could happen without the mod getting hot first, if thats the case and the user ignored it and kept vaping while the mod gets hotter and hotter well then its asking for a axident.

5. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

As it is mentioned in the original link, if the guy was using a crappy 18350 to fire a 0.1ohms, no wonder. But again, there is a case where this is totally "normal" that the battery explode (above), and another case which it would be a serious concern, that is if he was using a 1ohms coil with a VTC4...

He seemed to be using a RTA, I would then guess he is not supersubohming, maybe a .8ohms at max..

I'm really just guessing here folks, I am afraid we will never know much more

pierdon likes this.
  6. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

My opinion is that it is a photo shop. Right hand added afterwards. Width of wrist is different and the colour and resolution look different to me as well. But I'm no expert.
    **Updated**
    having said that I just noticed it is 2 right hands as well so maybe cancel out the different wrist widths. Still call photoshop though

7. Rick O-Shea

Photoshop is always a possibility. The wound certainly cleaned up well though in the second image.
    **Updated**
    Reading the post a bit more it seems this is an old incident from July :/

8. Dieter.
    Fine

Dieter. Secret Member

They probably have already. I also noticed that it is from july 2014, because i read about it then and was wondering if a new accident occurred and even I pitty the guy, I was a bit re-leafed, that it just was the old story once more.

That said, a battery does not explode, when there is a short or the battery is stressed it releases some gas under big pressure, and that also happens here. Be careful buying mods. Make sure they have went holes and have enough went holes. There have been mods for sale with either no went holes or went holes that where not working at all. One German reviewer has a trick. He unscrew the top cap, put the battery in and then blow some air into the mod, if the air disappear and he can just continue to blow air through the mod with the battery inserted then the went holes are sufficient.
    **Updated**
    I use only quality batteries like the VTC 4 or 5 and the LG all 18650 on my mods. And I have a Ohm reader now. After all safety first.
    **Updated**
    That is exactly what happened and the guy wonder what do do next, and then it explode. The battery released the gas under so high pressure that the mod exploded. So there must also have been an issue with insufficient went holes.

9. Talen
    Doh

Talen Well-Known Member

Crappy 18650 or not the industry needs to address another glaring problem that plagues bot high end devices and low end clones...lack of serious venting. On the vast majority of ecigs whether mechanical or regulated the vent holes are either too small or non existent and even worse on 99% of mods the vent holes are in the wrong place. The batteries usually vent from the top but the vent holes are at the bottom of the mod. I've seen some vapers making videos showing compressed air pumped into mods to prove their venting capability without taking into account that the battery often expands as it explodes, blocking what little room exists for air flow.

Dieter. and Rick O-Shea like this.
  10. ThaiGermanSamui

ThaiGermanSamui Well-Known Member

It's a fake Picture Guys !! I start a Thread at here a long time ago ..

11. Dieter.
    Fine

Dieter. Secret Member

Thank's for the information Talen. I did not know that the battery often expands as it explodes, that is new information for me.

12. BuzzSamui
    Cloud_9

BuzzSamui Well-Known Member

happens with mobile phone batts/charger a bit ...

I hope 'Victor' is ok !

13. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

Victor probably has kevlar hands now

Sent from the future

Dieter. and BuzzSamui like this.
  14. Dieter.
    Fine

Dieter. Secret Member

:rolling laugh::rolling laugh::rolling laugh::rolling laugh: