1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

New Study Shows Vaping Reduces Risks Of Cancer

Discussion in 'E-News' started by Bantorvaper, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Bantorvaper
    Mellow

Bantorvaper Thread Starter Well-Known Member

New Study Shows Vaping Reduces Risks Of Cancer
    Taken from ChurnMag.com

That dreaded day that anti-vape advocates have been hoping would never come is finally here.
    Late last week, WebMD reported on a new study that shows that e-cigarettes have significantly lower levels of carcinogens and other cancer-causing chemicals.

“This study suggests that smokers who completely switch to e-cigarettes and stop smoking tobacco cigarettes may significantly reduce their exposure to many cancer-causing chemicals,” lead author Maciej Goniewicz, who is an assistant professor of oncology at Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, New York, said when it was published online in the Nicotine and Tobacco Research Journal.

The study focused on a group of 20 adults who have smoked daily for an average of 12 years. During the course of the experiment, which ran for two weeks, the group switched from traditional cigarettes to vaping. The milligram concentration in the closed-end vape pens used was approximately 1.5 mg, as reported by The Daily Caller.

The results were gauged using urine samples from all 20 participants at regular intervals throughout the duration of the experiment. The samples were then analyzed to show nicotine, bio-markers of carcinogens and other cancer-causing chemicals levels within the urine.

The Roswell Park findings, as the study is known, showed astonishing results: There were significant declines in 12 of the 17 carcinogen markers even though the nicotine levels remained the same.
    “Our findings suggest that e-cigarette use may effectively reduce exposure to toxic and carcinogenic substances among smokers who completely switch to these products,” said study co-author Neal Benowitz, professor of medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, at the study’s release. He also added that “future research will help determine whether e-cigarettes reduce the risk of disease among dual users — those who both smoke and vape — and those who use electronic cigarettes for a long time.”

So what does this mean for vapers?

It means that vaping does actually have the ability to save the lives of smokers, even though anti-smoking advocates don’t want to hear that. It also shows that vaping is a safer alternative to smoking. And the urine tests show that the positive effects of switching from traditional smoking is very close to being immediate.
    At the very least, smokers who switch to vaping can put an end to the carcinogens entering their body through cigarette smoke. It’s something to keep in mind while Big Tobacco continues its misinformation campaign.

2. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

Not wanting to rain on the parade here but I believe that although exposure to carcinogens is reduced, it does not necessarily mean that there will be a reduction in cancer. I say this because until there are studies on people vaping for twenty to thirty years there is no actual proof of this and this is nothing more than an assumption. An assumption I agree with completely but still an assumption.

For a study to state that there will be a reduction with no long term studie s to back it up is basically the same as the anti vaping studies showing there is no difference with vaping to smoking.

Not trying to start an argument here. Just making the point that no matter what the claims, at this point we just don't know and can't know for several years to come.

3. Bantorvaper
    Mellow

Bantorvaper Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Hi @Longtai1 The study--to quote from the article clearly says: “This study suggests that smokers who completely switch to e-cigarettes and stop smoking tobacco cigarettes may significantly reduce their exposure to many cancer-causing chemicals,”

So not a definitive conclusion, but definitely a research step in the right direction. Ultimately substantially more comprehensive research is needed over the longer term as well as a much greater sample size.

4. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

Sorry @Nick Webber i only scanned the links and post. As I said no arguements from me on the benefits to vaping. I just want the studies to be real studies that a factual with no unsubstantiated claims. I guess I would hate to see research carried out in flavour of vaping in the same sensational news grabbing ways as the anti vaping community does.

Happy to stand corrected.

5. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

AI-NAAM Provarinati Member

Good news, but we should keep in mind that vaping may also introduce other unknown health risk in the future.

This article quotes studies that suggest vaping could suppress genes that protect the lungs from infection, change brain activity, increase plaque in arteries and reduce sperm.
    Vaping linked to host of new health risks | Science News

It is encouraging to read the positive studies. Just don't forget that the long-term health risk of vaping remain unknown.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  6. farangmick
    Worried

farangmick Well-Known Member

Sorry chaps, but I'm with @Nick Webber . I only know the difference between being a forty a day smoker, who could barely walk a hundred meters owing to vascular problems, to being back to normal after a few months as a vaper. Any possible slight health risk from vaping, years down the line, is nothing compared to what I was doing daily with stinkies.

Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  7. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

Couldn't agree more. I am 100% healthier than on the smokes. What comes out later can't be as bad as that I hope. Lol

Just don't want to see the same tactics as the anti vaping groups use by the pro vaping groups is all I mean.