1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Pet dog Suey killed after e-cigarette explosion

Discussion in 'E-News' started by -V-, Nov 8, 2014.

1. -V-
    Cool

-V- Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

Screen Shot 2557-11-08 at 8.13.15 PM.png Screen Shot 2557-11-08 at 8.13.24 PM.png

A COUPLE had a lucky escape from a house fire – but lost their pet dog – after an e-cigarette exploded.

John Walters and Carole Poulson escaped the blaze at their Birches Head home by climbing through a bedroom window.
    But the couple’s whippet Suey was killed after being overcome by toxic fumes in the kitchen, despite John’s efforts to rescue her.

Carole and John spent the night in hospital being treated for smoke inhalation, following the blaze at 12.30am yesterday.

They are now warning people of the potential dangers of e-cigarettes.
    As well as taking the life of their beloved pet, the fire left their home in Moston Street completely gutted.

John, aged 58, said: “We were both in bed when we were woken up by the sound of banging downstairs. Carole thought it might be a burglar so I opened the door and was immediately hit by the heat and smoke. It knocked me across the room.

“We opened the windows and climbed out onto the top of the downstairs bay windows and started calling for help. We were still quite high up, but luckily one of our neighbours is a part-time firefighter, and he brought a ladder to help us down. People tried to stop me but I went to the porch and tried to go back in, as I knew she was still inside. She was actually still alive when the firefighters brought her out, but they couldn’t save her.

“It was heartbreaking – Carole has had her since Suey was one or two, and she’s been a part of the family.”

The e-cigarette had been left attached to a mains charging plug overnight.
    Investigations discovered that there was no cable containing a fuse to link the two components and which would have cut off the electrical current when the battery overheated.

There were no smoke alarms fitted in the house.
    John added: “I don’t think they are safe. It had only been charging for a couple of hours. I’ve spoken to other people who have had this happen to them.

“This could have been much worse. If we’d been in the back bedroom, where we usually sleep, we wouldn’t have been able to get out as the windows only open a few inches.”

Group manager Brian Griffiths, from Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “This incident is a stark warning to people never to leave e-cigarettes on charge for long periods over time, particularly overnight, and to always follow the manufacturers’ guidelines. It also highlights the importance of having working smoke alarms in your home. We have had a number of incidents when people’s lives have been saved because their smoke alarms activated.”

Read more: Pet dog Suey killed after e-cigarette explosion in Birches Head home | Stoke Sentinel
    Follow us: @SentinelStaffs on Twitter | sentinelstaffs on Facebook

2. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

I imagine this story will get loads of press, but the hundreds of homes destroyed last night due to cigarettes won't get a mention...

oil likes this.
  3. ThaiGermanSamui

ThaiGermanSamui Well-Known Member

Never leave your charger over night .. first rule ever ..cant understand people don't care that !

kurt likes this.
  4. -V-
    Cool

I think it's more to do with not knowing or being told.
    Being new to vaping there are probably a lot that people don't know.
    We're ok as we're addicted to Forums and have been doing this for a long time, a newbie however won't know the dangers of all of this.

For me if someone is buying from a brick and mortar shop, or from an online vendor (apart from a Chinese vendor) then THEY should be telling them as much as possible about simple things like this.

The FIRST thing they should tell them, and include a big leaflet with the devices like this is NEVER charge and leave it charging overnight or if you leave the house.
    Also it might be too much, but those Safety charging bags, have them as part of these eGo kits, tell them it's just for safety and best to use them when charging.

5. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

Effing idiot. Sorry, but the homeowners blaming e-cigs for their woes should look a bit closer to home. WTF are they thinking?

kurt likes this.
  6. kurt
    Blah

kurt Well-Known Member

Agreed. There seems to have been a few incidents as well with people charging their phones in their bed.. hopefully incidents like this will get manufacturers to add additional safety features to the charging units like this one didn't appear to have.

I also goes without saying.. you get what you pay for.

Kurt

7. oil
    Bitching

oil Custom What?

8. Rowdy
    Devilish

Rowdy Old broken down Vaper

I have often left my e cig on charge over night BUT NO MORE.:angel and devil:

My step daughter was given a Samsung smart phone a few months ago and I told her to be careful as the phone was getting hot while on charge. Last week the battery expanded to twice its size, I got Mrs Rowdy to take it to Samsung,,,,,,,You guessed it,,,, its a fake Samsung. So please be careful out there. While living in Cambodia I learnt all Duracel batteries in Cambodia are fake copies.

Stay safe members because the people making and selling these fakes do not care what happens to the end user.

9. PattayaIELTSTeacher
    Breezy

PattayaIELTSTeacher Well-Known Member

Call me stupid!

I can't count how many times over the last 5 years I've been vaping that I've done overnight charges, or left home with a battery charging. NEVER AGAIN!
    I heard "safety bag" mentioned. What is this, and where might one come by one in BKK?

Thanks for the heads-up. Just one more example of how nice it is to have a forum like this to glean and share info.

Cheers!

10. Rick O-Shea

You can buy the bags on FT and I remember Vapor Mist selling them on FB at one point

11. -V-
    Cool

12. PattayaIELTSTeacher
    Breezy

PattayaIELTSTeacher Well-Known Member

Rick, VM, much thanks for the prompt replies!

13. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

Is the picture actually accurate ? i mean, the damage are similar to a hand grenade, not a 500mAh battery..

When some guys blowsntheir hand from a mech, it's not even close to that results.

Sent from the future

14. Rick O-Shea

I think the dog fired laser beams from it's eyeballs and started it, I mean, just look at them.

15. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

If the battery was left charging on a flammable surface and exploded, the resulting fire could do the kind of damage that's being shown...pity about the dog, though, he deserved better.

According to one of the discussion threads on FastTech under the LiPo Safety Charging bag, it's not intended for use with Nitecore or XTAR type chargers due to the potential for heat buildup during charging. And I have my doubts whether the FT bag (made of PVC fibers...maybe that's code for Nomex, which is the fireproof fabric) would be much help. I did some research on these bags awhile back and found that the more highly recommended ones on Amazon come from these sellers:
    LipoSack.com
    Venom RC | Venom Racing | Atomik RC
    Dynamite RC.

They're used by the radio control guys when they're charging their LiPo battery packs outside the charger. From what I read, those type of batteries are pretty volatile and they're charged quickly with hi-powered hobby chargers, hence the need for these sacks in case something goes wrong.

Rowdy likes this.