1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Potentially Harmful Chemicals Found in E-Cigarettes

Discussion in 'E-News' started by -V-, Oct 27, 2015.

1. -V-
    Cool

-V- Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

OCTOBER 26, 2015

New research has found that many e-cigarettes and e-liquids contain hundreds if not thousands of chemicals which are potentially harmful to vapers. Here's a short list of some of those chemicals and how they can potentially cause harm:
    • Most e-liquids are made with a base of propylene glycol or vegetable glycerine (or most commonly, a combination of the two), and if an e-cigarette user is fully submerged in a tank full of these liquids for long enough, they will most certainly drown.
    • Many e-liquids also contain food flavorings that contain chemicals which can be heated to extremely high temperatures and continuously poured onto the user's head, causing severe and possibly life-threatening burns
    • E-cigarette tanks are often made of plastics or glass which can potentially be broken into sharp shards and used to severely lacerate people who vape.
    • E-cigarettes also contain nicotine, which can be potentially harmful if quantities 100 times greater than a typical recreational dose are injected directly into the user's eyeballs.
    • E-liquids also contain some water which can be used to grow castor oil plants and is probably used in the process of purifying ricin from them, which could be deadly if inhaled by an e-cigarette user.
    • Modern drip atomizers often contain stainless steel, which could potentially be melted down into pots and pans. Those pots and pans could then potentially be used to burn all of the e-cigarette user's food, causing him or her to suffer from severe malnutrition or even to starve to death.
    These are just a few of the ways that chemicals in e-cigarettes can potentially be harmful. The possibilities are literally endless. Fortunately for people who have reduced harm to themselves by switching from smoking to vaping, these potential harms are not likely harms. Make sure you understand the difference when you're out there on the Internet reading garbage that attempts to conflate the two. It's also good practice to remember everything is chemicals, and that's neither bad nor good. It's just another fact.

Neilly, Mo6495, Emmess and 10 others like this.
  2. vinay

vinay Well-Known Member

Thoroughly enjoyed.

Sent using tapatalk

Konvict likes this.
  3. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Damn...and it feels so good... ;)

4. Dieter.
    Fine

Dieter. Secret Member

Wonderful, this just made my day :)

Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  5. haybilly
    Paranoid

haybilly Well-Known Member

I seem to remember that some faction from Russia's KGB once manged to secretively murder a Bulgarian political dissident, by stabbing him in the leg with an E-Cig,[I believe it was an early version of an Ego], damned sneaky.

Emmess and Siam Diesel like this.
  6. Frayedmind
    Happy

Frayedmind Well-Known Member

KGB Indeed!

t'was fitted to at the end of an umbrella, before the 510 connector. A simple mod but effective. If I remember correctly, they said the poison was ricin, but this was a media cover up, it was pure nicotine. I can't reveal my sources on this one. But it's a fact.

:unrelated

I watch Fox news, I believe.

Emmess, Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  7. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

That's a misnomer...not much news but plenty of entertainment. ;)
    :grin:

Konvict likes this.
  8. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

Seems just as dangerous as dihydrogen monoxide.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  9. Frayedmind
    Happy

Frayedmind Well-Known Member

Fox news is better than comedy central some nights!

Siam Diesel likes this.
  10. vinay

vinay Well-Known Member

Understand the cloud chasing vapers are the real cause of the dense haze in Indonesia.

Sent using tapatalk

Mo6495 and Siam Diesel like this.
  11. haybilly
    Paranoid

haybilly Well-Known Member

Maybe it was ricin--we don't want anymore anti-vape crap than we have already.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    Siam Diesel likes this.