1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Scientific Publications

Discussion in 'E-News' started by fillmcavity, Sep 4, 2014.

1. fillmcavity
    Angelic

fillmcavity Thread Starter Serial Vapist

Attached Files:

2. fillmcavity
    Angelic

3. fillmcavity
    Angelic

4. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

5. fillmcavity
    Angelic

6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

It would be interesting to know if the WHO receives any funding from Big Tobacco, and if so, how much ££$$€€ in absolute terms and what percentage of their budget does this funding represent...

Wouldn't this represent a conflict of interest for the WHO...they're supposed to be saving lives and preventing disease yet accept money from an industry that takes lives and causes disease...WTF, over?!?!

7. ryanmacl

ryanmacl Well-Known Member

I did some Google-fu on this.

From Wikipedia

Some more light reading if you so desire:

http://www.who.int/civilsociety/documents/en/RevreportE.pdf

Since WHO is "a specialized agency of the United Nations (UN) that is concerned with international public health", personally I see it as a conflict of interest that they have more than twice as many NGO partnerships than they do actually member nations. Its pretty easy to imagine that the right amount of money will buy you far more influence with them than the majority of the member countries. If the U.S. is the largest government backer at $110 million, but their budget is almost $4 billion, who do you think is donating? Do you really think the medical industry, particularly Big Pharma, wants people getting all the joys of tobacco without any of the harmful effects? The tobacco industry will still need to grow the tobacco so nicotine can be extracted, not to mention they are already invested in the e-cig industry.

Smoking is a freaking gold mine for the medical industry. I'd much rather have the tobacco industry funding the WHO than the pharmaceutical industry. How many chronic diseases do you think we'd have a cure for if there wasn't so much money in just treating them?

8. Anbessa
    Thinking

Anbessa Come&Go Member

If someone would have stated the above facts like 10 years ago the majority of people would have jumped right on the posters back with blaming and accusing him as conspiracy theorist. Well, in your days with social media and informatikn sources like never before the same theories are actuality facts. Vaping and it's users are a very good example on how things are dealt whit which are not 100% fiting in the concept of the rule makers. Vaping and it's potential for an open and from authoretys rather uncontrolled market are a big rocket in the way of numerous organizations claiming to eyeball only the best for humanety as well as industry's with there never ending hunger for growth and profit. Vaping is tryed to be given a bad name, restricted, baned and vapers start feeling like outlaws becaause of thinking how one could possible continue the expireance he has and likes. Now we as adults who have decided for ourselves since Vaping is less harmful than smoking tobacco to keep on vaping happily while feeling the physically difference for your body as well are al of a suden confronted with conspiracy theories on why vaping is bad for you. Tobacco smokers in our days which is in the society of healt and safety is #1 note so gentleman's like anymore as it used to be but you can buy tabacco everywere and easyer than some medicine!!!!! Well enojy the show..... which is called reality.

9. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Thanks, Ryan, appreciate it! I started to look into this and then work intruded...

"International public health", my backside... A full 76% of their budget comes from somewhere other than the assessed contributions from member nations...frightening!

Quite a cynical view but sadly, probably correct.

Both industries probably have their fingers in the WHO funding pie. I'd like to believe that some altruism still exists in Big Pharma but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to show up in the form of cures for chronic diseases...

10. ryanmacl

ryanmacl Well-Known Member

From WebMD, the fifth most costly of the top 11 medical expenses, at $68.3 Billion (per year?)

Slideshow: Most Expensive Medical Conditions

Poor diet, lack of exercise, smoking and drinking are responsible for like 9 of the 11 on the list. This is how they make their money. If my annual bonus was dependent on more people buying my medicine, I wouldn't want to cure them either. I used to work at a doctor's office when I was in college, the pharmaceutical reps were awesome, they would come and buy us food, give us free stuff, anything to keep those Rx's flowing. If all the money spent on lobbying and essentially bribing every single person involved in the medical or political profession was taken and spent on any one disease, it'd be cured in like a month. There are always cures and vaccines for the shit that will kill lots of people fast, just look at how quick they stomped on this latest ebola outbreak with all these "experimental" drugs. If they didn't they wouldn't have anyone to sell their pills to.