1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Victorian doctor calls for end to contradictory laws

Discussion in 'E-News' started by -V-, Aug 24, 2015.

1. -V-
    Cool

-V- Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

A Victorian doctor has sparked controversy, calling for electronic cigarettes to be recognised as an effective tool to quit smoking.

Ballarat GP Attila Danko said he was hooked on traditional cigarettes for 30 years, until he took up e-cigarettes.

"I tried all the usual things, all the patches, all the gums, but I was always tempted back to smoking until I found e-cigarettes," he said.

The battery-powered inhalers simulate the feeling of smoking, but without the addictive tobacco.

Dr Danko is pushing for e-cigarettes to be recognised as a better alternative to standard cigarettes, and a way to help addicts butt out.

He cited a recent British health report that found using e-cigarettes, otherwise known as "vaping", was 95 percent less harmful than smoking.

[​IMG]
    Dr Danko said e-cigarettes are 95 percent less harmful than smoking tobacco. (AAP)

Dr Danko has now set up independent advocacy group New Nicotine Alliance Australia.

"You feel like you are smoking but not taking in all the tar and the smoke, all the stuff that kills you," he said.

Nationally, the sale of e-cigarettes containing nicotine is prohibited without a medical prescription.

Non-nicotine e-cigarettes are legal and more widely available. They come in a range of flavours, including tobacco.

Anti-smoking body QUIT told 9NEWS there is no firm evidence that vaping helps smokers give up.

"While e-cigarettes are potentially less harmful than tobacco, they're certainly not harmless, and that's our problem, we don't know what the short or long term health impacts are," QUIT Victoria Acting Director Kylie Lindorff said.

Other research suggests teenagers who use electronic vaporisers will eventually switch to traditional cigarettes.

Read more at Victorian doctor calls for end to contradictory laws over 'life-saving' e-cigarettes - 9news.com.au

Neilly and Siam Diesel like this.
  2. haybilly
    Paranoid

haybilly Well-Known Member

Similar to the report that was discussed the other day, regarding the prospect of the UK NHS possibly issuing E-Cigs as a Smoking Cessation aid.

3. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

That snowball effect.

Be interested to hear what spiel they come out with here in the next 12 months.

haybilly likes this.
  4. haybilly
    Paranoid

haybilly Well-Known Member

My opinion is that, as long as these Health Authorities are finally admitting what we have known for some time, it can only be a positive. They are going to find it much harder to ban something that had now been proven to have a beneficial effect.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Neilly and Rick O-Shea like this.
  5. debatedude
    No Mood

debatedude Mech Moderator Staff Member

Then ban all tobacco products, you effing moron, don't just go after vaping. Alcohol kills as well, gonna ban that? Effing hypocritical offspring of unwed parents.
    **Updated**
    ^Sorry, I know @-V- didn't say what I quoted. Sorry your av came up on that,

fridgemagnet and Neilly like this.
  6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Small steps in the right direction...can only be a good thing, especially with the U.S. FDA due to issue their rules soon.

Neilly and haybilly like this.