1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

We're under attack!!

Discussion in 'E-News' started by Rick O-Shea, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea Thread Starter iStick Fanboy

Man In Coma After E-Cig Blows Up In His Face « CBS Miami

Dieter. and Siam Diesel like this.
  2. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea Thread Starter iStick Fanboy

Unfortunate event, but I'm pretty sure that that did not happen!

haybilly and Siam Diesel like this.
  3. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Yes, unfortunate...but I agree with you...unlikely that happened.

E-cigs are in the news...the only thing we can do is continue to practice (and preach) vaping safety! Batteries rarely just 'explode' unless subjected to stresses beyond their design parameters... ;)

Rick O-Shea likes this.
  4. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

Application of simple physics will prove this feat practically impossible. But, instead of of old loaded cigar trick, I now have an idea for the exploding drip trip prank.

haybilly, Siam Diesel and Rick O-Shea like this.
  5. Dieter.
    Fine

Dieter. Secret Member

We are under attack. The big pharma and big tobacco not just giving up easily. And again I would like to know what is behind this story. I smell a rat. Never heard of an exploding driptip. The other story of the burning e-cigarette in the airplane could have been prevented, if the guy had locked his device when entering the plane. Wonder what stupidity there was behind this explosion ??

Frayedmind, Konvict and Siam Diesel like this.
  6. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

AI-NAAM Provarinati Member

Did a search of "medically induced coma" and found this-
    "A coma is induced in patients who are at high risk of brain injury, either from physical trauma (as in the case of Giffords, who was shot in the head in 2011), a drug overdose, or a disease such as meningitis, rabies or status epilepticus (a long-lasting and life-threatening seizure)."What Is a Medically Induced Coma? | Barbiturate Induced Coma

I've no medical training, but sound inconsistent with his reported injuries. Possibly there was head trauma also.

Screen shot from the video news report.
    Does this look like it exploded? I would have expected more damage to the device if it exploded (and a missing drip tip). Isn't that a wide drip tip on top of a dripping atomizer, or am I mistaken? If it wasn't the drip tip then what was it that "went down his throat"?
    [​IMG]
    free image host

Screen shot from the video news report. At this point in the video the reporter says "you can still see the soot on her tile floor."
    [​IMG]
    She reported a "explosion and smelling burning smoke and fire". Was there no other damage to film?

Still some questions to answer in this story. I hope the man has a full recovery.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  7. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Hmmm, looks like another mech mod incident...perhaps he was pushing the sub-ohm envelope and got burned...
    Do hope he recovers, though.

8. AI-NAAM
    No Mood

AI-NAAM Provarinati Member

Neilly and Siam Diesel like this.
  9. EightVape
    Artistic

EightVape EightVape General

I personally find Mech mod unnecessarily dangerous but people keep putting their life at risk... Just saying.

10. haybilly
    Paranoid

haybilly Well-Known Member

Holy Crap-- where do they dig up this tripe?
    News agencies are scouring the Planet for anything detrimental to E-Cigs, whose giving out the Payola? Well, we know the answer to that.... biggest problem is Joe Public swallows this sh*t like it's going out of fashion.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
    If ever there was the need for a cull of dumb Vapers, it's now.

Frayedmind likes this.
  11. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

There is nothing dangerous about a mech mod if used properly with a high quality battery and a reasonable build. The "danger" comes in because unlike a regulated mod it does not protect the user from their own stupidity.

haybilly likes this.
  12. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

And to this, I would add..."by an experienced vaper who's aware of the potential dangers."

13. haybilly
    Paranoid

Yes, therein lies the catch--99.9% of these accidents are happening to inexperienced vapers.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  14. Lotta

Lotta Well-Known Member

While I agree with this statement, for the most part. We give anyone of legal age a lighter and something that burns to put in their mouth. Fireworks are available to most anyone around the world and we know there are inherent dangers in these things. If you are experienced enough to make a coil and wick it, Ohm's law should be the first step in your build design. As far as pre-made coils and standard tanks, we didn't start seeing this number of mech mod disasters until the sub-ohm builds and hybrid top caps were available to anyone. So far the only problems I see are user error, whether it be in build design, top cap choice, or battery choice. Give some people a wet noodle and they will find someway to hurt themselves with it. Now that I have said that, to protect us all, maybe a short test should be given to anyone who wants to purchase a mech mod. 5 simple questions. What make and model of battery do you use? What is Ohm's Law? Do you own an Ohm meter? Is it safe to run a .1 Ohm build on (insert any battery here)? Do you know how a hybrid top cap works? If you fail any part of this test, you must purchase a regulated device.

oil and haybilly like this.
  15. haybilly
    Paranoid

Good idea, but, chances are the idiots that make the Law will just choose the easy option and ban the lot.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk