1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Worldwide Ban of Vapor Devices in Checked Baggage

Discussion in 'E-News' started by ThaiGermanSamui, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

Whether he requires education or not if the interpretation or instructions he has say NO vape devices then there is a potential for a world of crap.

I only fly with 2 devices anyway and always carry them in cabin baggage anyway. Juices and tanks I put in checked. Generally I don't want confusion if checked bags are xrayed and questions asked.

Now I will carry rta and rda in my cabin baggage as well to be safe. Kanthal juice tools etc. Go in the hold.

2. haybilly
    Paranoid

haybilly Well-Known Member

I tend to agree that, with all the 'Jobsworths' in this world and those employed as airline staff, this sort of grey area interpretation does lead to potential problems for us travelers.

3. Longtail1
    Amused

Longtail1 Vaping Troll

On top of that I really can't see the international safety authorities creating confusion by saying only fixed battery mods need to be in the cabin. That would mean constant training worldwide on new devices. IF the Op is correct, and in all honesty I can understand it, there would have to be a blanket ban on PV's in checked baggage to avoid confusion for staff. Again, IF a blanket ban is put in place, breaking that ban could lead to serious delays in travel and worse in many countries.

Not worth the risk IMHO

4. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

When vaping on a plane, I've found it best to hold it in as long as possible before exhaling down (or into the toilet bowl). Little or nothing comes out and the smoke detectors don't pick it up. If you blow clouds...even small ones, you're asking for trouble IMO.

Just flew back from Singapore on Thursday with an iStick 50 in my checked luggage (it was turned off)...had no problems.

Maybe...but what about putting power banks in checked luggage...are they prohibited, too? They look like box mods on first glance...the only difference is that there's no 510 connector. FWIW, on my last trip to China, the new generation of security scanners can 'see' Li-Ion batteries (they asked about 1 of my mods in my carry-on luggage and knew exactly where it was). If you pack a box mod without batteries in your checked luggage, it just looks like an empty metal box on the scanner. I don't think that will cause any problems for the folks manning the security stations.

At the end of the day, they're trying to prevent the spontaneous firing of mods in checked luggage...and for good reason! We should do all we can to help them with this by carrying mods with built-in batteries (and also loose batteries) in cabin luggage. From now on, when I travel to Singapore, I'll carry my mods (tube or box) broken down in my checked luggage and the batteries in my cabin baggage with a flashlight (so there's a plausible reason for having the batteries).

Konvict and Anbessa like this.
  5. -V-
    Cool

-V- Administrator Staff Member

That's what I did last year when I went to the UK
    A mate of mine though sat in his seat, put the blanket over him and vaped like that before on a plane
    I'd never do that...

6. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Agree...impossible in Economy...too many people around. But I've done it in Business...just doesn't feel right, though. Guess it's because we're so conditioned to not smoking on a plane.

Konvict likes this.
  7. vinay

vinay Well-Known Member

Yes one could pass off an istick as a power bank which are allowed . Flashlight and battery is a good idea . Would like to test Indian customs . They love to open up everything.

Sent by my phone

8. haybilly
    Paranoid

As I mentioned, I have a BDC tank, from -V-, I think it's an Aspire (?) and in that is some juice of 18 mg Nic and higher PG content than I would normally vape-this is my flight vape- no way would I chance any of my RBAs and high VG.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

9. haybilly
    Paranoid

OK, just an update- no real problems going West, but coming back through Dubai Customs just confiscated my IStick 30 and the Aspire BDC- total pain, almost went and bought some cigarettes, resisted the temptation, but the Officer that confiscated the ECig said that smoking cigarettes would be better!!!

I had all my Atties, and Box Mods in the Checked Baggage, no problem so far, but still in transit at the moment waiting for an internal flight to CNX, so not yet home and dry.
    I will update later.
    I will avoid Dubai from now on.

10. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

I did wonder about the middle east. I prefer a stop off (provided it's a short one). Will take that into consideration.

11. haybilly
    Paranoid

Definitely- we've used Emirates for years, but going to reconsider- fortunately, an iStick 30 and an Aspire BDC are not too expensive to lose, just pisses me off.

12. Rick O-Shea

Rick O-Shea iStick Fanboy

Yeah, always a bummer to have anything confiscated.

13. haybilly
    Paranoid

It seems that regulations are changing all the time, and knee jerk reactions abound.

14. haybilly
    Paranoid

Just read a sign while boarding Bangkok Airways flight, saying 'Only 2 Spare Lithium Batteries Allowed In Hand Baggage',
    [​IMG]

So, we are not allowed Batteries in there Check Baggage and, now, not allowed more than 2 in the Cabin/Hand luggage.

15. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

It does also say "Watt-hour rating exceeding 100 Watt but not exceeding 160 Watt". The typical 18650 battery (2600 mAh, 4.2 volts) has only 11 watt hours. According to the BKK Air snip below, up to 20,000 mAH (or 20 pieces) may be carried in your carry-on luggage. In this case, you'd probably be able to carry 8-10 as long as they're safely packed...

Bangkok Airways: Dangerous Goods - Bangkok Airways
    upload_2015-8-2_15-53-43.png upload_2015-8-2_15-54-8.png

Thai Airways: News Details | News & Annoucement | Thai Airways

Konvict and fridgemagnet like this.