1. Welcome to Thailand Vapers, an English language forum for members in Thailand and the rest of Asia to talk about vaping.
    Commonly referred to as e-cigarettes, vaping is really about the use of personal vaporizers (mods) and atomizers (tanks, clearos, RBAs, RDAs, RTAs) filled with e-liquid.
    Are you looking to get started or an old hand at vaping? Everyone is welcome here so sign up today and talk vaping with us!

Worldwide Ban of Vapor Devices in Checked Baggage

Discussion in 'E-News' started by ThaiGermanSamui, Jun 18, 2015.

1. haybilly
    Paranoid

haybilly Well-Known Member

Yes, that's true, but it's nothing if not ambiguous- I just passed through with 8 X 18650 batteries, all in plastic protective boxes, 1x 2100 mah Power Bank, and 1x 50w iStick- no problem. But, it could, so easily, have been another outcome- the fact that these things were, probably, not noticed, made a huge difference.
    My mistake, in Dubai, was, when asked what a specific item was on the X Ray read out, stupidly came clean and said that it was an ECig- and, the same question did not arise in BKK.
    My conclusion is that, still, it is all down to luck and one's ability to 'blag'. I will not be so forthcoming in the future, now I know that the directive seems to be "No ECigs".
    The fact that I had about 10 Atties, and 6 Box Mods in my Hold/Checked luggage, made me a little anxious at the 'Port of Disembarkation', but, luckily, no worries. It's a Lottery, and possibly, quite an expensive one.
    Be careful, and Good Luck.

Neilly and Siam Diesel like this.
  2. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

@haybilly sorry to hear that bro. "luckily" as you said, iStick 30 and Aspire aren't the most expensive items.

Can you please clarify something to me : Did they ask you if you had anything in your bag before or after the x-ray ?

You seemed to be in transit, therefore in an international zone, you are not entering the country and therefore not obliged to strictly follow the homeland rules and regulations. What was their reason to take it away ? Homeland or airlines security ?

Also very important, did they change the smoke detector in the toilet ^^ I still plan to vape there during my flight end of the month !

haybilly likes this.
  3. haybilly
    Paranoid

I was in the transit area, and I pointed this out, saying that I did not intend to use the device in UAE ( Dubai) but, they wanted to stick to new rules pasted up on the wall ( which they asked me to read, and which mentioned that E Cig devices were not allowed)
    The XRay check was the first problem, it was after this that they wanted to identify certain items, one of which was the 2100 mah Power Bank, and then the Atomiser, and separate iStick next to it. Maybe, if these 2 vape items had not been in the same bag as my laptop, mobile phones, and Power Bank- they might not have noticed them- but, I can't be certain.
    I carry all the electrical gear ( laptop,Tablet, mobile phones, PowerBank, and cables in a shoulder bag- possibly stupidly, I had the iStick and Atomiser in this bag also. They missed 8 x 18650, 1 x 50watt iStick, which remained inside my carry on case.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    And, fortunately, at the Port of Disembarkation, they did not open the Check Baggage, in which were several Box Mods, and up to 10 RBAs, and juices.
    So, the trip wasn't a complete fail, but it doesn't look good for the future of air travel, if countries are going to start enforcing arbitrary laws when in transit.

One final point, I did ask the Dubai Customs Officer to give me back the iStick, saying that it was actually only a battery, but he refused, with a smirk, saying that "I would not be doing my job if I did". It was the smirk that pissed me off most.
    It did occur to me that he might even want it for himself!

@Tibo
    I don't think they have made any improvements to the toilet ceiling smoke detectors, but I was only using an Aspire BDC ( or maybe BVC ?) and unusually 50/50 VgPg, at 18 mg. So, not my vape Juice of preference but a much lower vapor production- and I was very careful to inhale deep and long.
    Take care and you should be OK.

I'm actually considering going back to Swedish Snus for my next flight.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  4. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

We are living in a world that such a thought is perfectly justify !

That's quite strict from them to enforced the ecig law within the transit area of the airport, that would mean you have to know every rule of every country before traveling. I know that "no one is supposed to ignore the law", but they could be a bit flexible, especially in transit !

Since you haven't passed the customs, you are not in the country :(

5. haybilly
    Paranoid

Very true- but UAE are well known for their ' unusual' interpretations of their laws- people have been arrested and charged in transit with Prescribed Medecines prohibited in Arab countries but prescribed for them by a Doctor- I have read some very unfortunate cases.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  6. Neilly
    Lurking

Neilly Flavour Chaser

A guy I know had all his vape gear confiscated as he entered Oman (he works there)...not sure if they scan your hand luggage if you transit tho.

7. haybilly
    Paranoid

That's what they were doing to every transit passenger- scanning hand luggage.

8. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Siam Diesel Nauti Moderator Staff Member

Was this upon arrival into Dubai or when you went to board your connecting flight?
    Apologies if you've answered previously...

Konvict likes this.
  9. haybilly
    Paranoid

When you transit from your arriving flight, you go through a security check en route to your departing flight, all transit passengers are X Ray scanned ( their bags, that is) during this process., there is no Passport check, only luggage check and body scan ( we go through the usual metal detector archway) and collect our scanned hand luggage.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  10. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

They do everytime you board in a plane. Which means you are leaving the country... That is why I think it makes no sense to confiscate it at this point.

Siam Diesel likes this.
  11. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Agree, unless the airline you're boarding has a policy about batteries or e-cigs.

I still like the iTaste VV V4 for traveling...I put it with my other computer stuff and have never been asked about it.

Konvict and Tibo like this.
  12. haybilly
    Paranoid

Every airline appears to be rushing into knee jerk regulations regarding ECig devices and batteries- it's total ignorance.

13. Tibo
    Relaxed

Tibo French Hedonist

I hope Air France isn't going to be that strict anytime soon, I'm flying them !

14. Siam Diesel
    Lurking

Yep, but why would we expect airlines to be any different than most governments? At least airlines serve a useful purpose by taking us from Point A to Point B... ;)

Konvict likes this.
  15. Neilly
    Lurking

Neilly Flavour Chaser

I know it'll get scanned Tibo...just not sure if they are as zealous as Dubai seem to be about removing vape gear from you carry on.